Monday 19 March 2018

Lent - Cheating

We are over a month into Lent... only 14 days to go... This is the point where I start to get really excited about Easter.  This year my birthday falls on the Easter weekend (Good Friday), which I really feel is an honour and a special time.  I became a Christian on Easter weekend when I was just a wee little person, so it kind of is like having a double birthday weekend.  I've always taken aside special time to celebrate and remember what God has done in my life through the Easter season.  This year feels full of anticipation.

I must say, Lent hasn't gone all smoothly.  I have "cheated" three times in what I gave up for Lent.  I really wrestled with it each time and could have said no, but didn't.  It really got me thinking about motivations and desires and how we rationalize things ALL the time.  Lent is more than an exercise in self-discipline (though that is a big part of growing in it for sure).  I always was pretty good at self-discipline.  This time, that is actually the part I have found hardest.  I am way more lenient to excuse myself and give myself a break in the name of "grace."  It has also been eye-opening to see the areas and the struggles that I have that I try to handle on my own.  Self-sacrifice is not natural.  It takes intention and effort and constant choosing.  I know grace does exist, but it has been quite a lesson of self-awareness to see my frailty and weak flesh.  Today my daily Bible reading was Romans 8.  This is, by far, my most favorite chapter in the Bible.  It is SO rich.

Set our minds on the Spirit...
The body is dead (and weak) but the Spirit is alive because of righteousness...
We are God's children...heirs of Christ
Creaton will be "liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God...
We hope for what we do not yet have...
The Spirit helps us in our weakness...
If God is for us, who can be against us...
Nothing... will be able to separate us from the love of God that is found in Christ Jesus!

Easter is coming.  We celebrate HIS victory.  We celebrate HIS love for us.  What a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment